You will be faced with decisions regarding medical procedures and tests for your newborn within minutes of birth. Learn about the routine procedures in your birth setting, and consider the following:
- Weigh the pros and cons of each procedure or test. Gather information from both sides. Do this as early as possible.
- Involve your partner in the process.
- Ask if there are alternatives to the accepted treatment.
- Seek medical providers who are sympathetic to your needs and wishes.
- Consider the implications of both sides of the decision.
- Consider delaying procedures, if that is an option.
- Do one procedure at a time.
- Hold your baby during each procedure, if you can.
- Make peace with your decision and live with it, knowing you’ve tried your best to safeguard your baby’s health.
For more information on this subject, see my article, “Informed Consent.”
About Peggy O’Mara. I am an independent journalist who edits and publishes peggyomara.com. I was the editor and publisher of Mothering Magazine for over 30 years and founded Mothering.com in 1995. My books include Having a Baby Naturally, Natural Family Living, The Way Back Home and A Quiet Place. I have conducted workshops at Omega Institute, Esalen, La Leche League, and Bioneers. I am the mother of four and grandmother of three. Please check out my email newsletter with free tips on parenting, activism, and healthy living.