- coconut milk
- veggie broth
- crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper (optional)
In a large soup pot combine the following ingredients:
- 1 32 oz box of veggie broth
- 1 can of coconut milk (I use lite, but full fat is fine too)
- 5-6 large carrots
- 2 medium to large potatoes
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 TBL of fresh grated ginger (I love ginger and sometimes add more)
The carrots, potatoes and onion just need to be peeled and cut in half or quarters because you’ll blend it all together later. I do grate the garlic and ginger.
Bring ingredients to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about an hour or until the carrots and potatoes are completely soft.
Transfer cooked mixture to your blender in batches and puree. I blend some, then add the mixture to a large bowl and continue doing this until it’s all been blended.Then I pour it all back into the soup pot, reheat briefly, and stir in any additional salt or spices.
It’s so good! Really warming, perfect for this time of year.
Adrienne Schroeder has a Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from The T. Colin Cambpell Foundation and eCornell. She is also a photographer and the mother of three (vegetarian) children who loves to create simple, healthy meals for her family.
You can check out her blog at http://www.theveggiehouse.com.