My mom used to keep a container of cut up raw vegetables in the fridge: carrots, radishes, celery. She would put them in a bowl of water and they would stay cold and crispy and were just perfect for crunching on the run.
RAW VEGGIE BOWL
- Cut up the carrots into long, thin spears.
- Cut the celery stalk into thin pieces. Cut in half.
- Leave radishes whole.
- Put celery, carrots, and radishes into bowl and cover with water.
- Eat as a snack with or without salt.
- You can also dip these raw veggies in a homemade Ranch Dressing.
HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Chill well.
- 2 bunches of radishes
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- In a mortar and pestle or a food processor, crush the sesame seeds and then crush in the salt and sugar.
- Set aside.
- Whisk the gochujang with the mayonnaise.
- Set the raw radishes on a plate. Next to the radishes, put a dollop of the spicy mayonnaise and top with the crushed sesame seed mix. Dip the radishes in the spicy mayo.
- red chile or cayenne powder
- Cut the cucumbers into thin spears.
- Toss the cucumbers with salt, red pepper and lemon for a great spicy crunch.
- 1 bunch of carrots
- 1/2 cup plain Greek or whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- lemon wedges
- Serve raw carrots whole if they are thin or cut them into thin spears.
- Mix the harissa paste lightly into the yogurt so it looks “marbled.”
- Serve the carrots with the harissa yogurt and some lemon wedges.
- This recipe also works well with steamed carrots.
About Peggy O’Mara. I am an independent journalist who edits and publishes peggyomara.com. I was the editor and publisher of Mothering Magazine for over 30 years and founded Mothering.com in 1995. My books include Having a Baby Naturally, Natural Family Living, The Way Back Home and A Quiet Place. I have conducted workshops at Omega Institute, Esalen, La Leche League, and Bioneers. I am the mother of four and grandmother of three. Please check out my email newsletter with free tips on parenting, activism, and healthy living.